Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Runway Baby...


Yesterday, I helped a friend with her clothing line, showing it for the first time at Las Vegas Fashion Week.  The day started when I arrived at Bagatelle, in the Tropicana Hotel, at 11:00 am.  Sindy was already there with her clothes hanging on a rack waiting for the doors to open.  By 12:00 the doors of Bagatelle were opened and models, designers, hairstylist, and makeup artists filled the room.  I could not believe I was going to help in an actual fashion show.

 First thing we had to do was pick out the models to wear the  Petite Bourgeoisie line. The girls came in so many shapes and sizes, and just as you would imagine, clothes were flying everywhere.  Its was all so surreal!  I have had no history of working with models, and especially fitting them for a run way show, but I jumped right in and had a great time figuring it out.  All of the girls were sweet, and so excited to be picked to wear each piece.  After finding 14 girls for 14 looks Sindy looked at me and said "Your wearing my jacket down the runway right?"  I lost my breath for a moment and was like "really?!"  I was soooo excited that she was going to let me be in her show, and to top things off, I was going to be the first girl to start off her collection!  Well, off to hair and makeup!


I was fortunate to meet so many people yesterday and one of my favorites was Vanessa.  Of course she was the girl who did my makeup for the runway.  Vanessa has been a makeup and hair stylist in Las Vegas for many years and was super professional and super fun to talk to.  We talked about different projects she had worked on and she even gave me a little advice on my first cat walk. ;-)

About 15 minutes before I had to walk I really started to panic.  I went to the bathroom and saw some seasoned models hanging out, so I asked if they could give me some advice on walking.  They were all so happy to, so there I was, strutting my stuff in the bathroom hallways laughing as I was attempting my 'model' walk.  I probably tried it about fifteen times before I felt in control of what I needed to do.  They all said I was doing just fine, but I think they might just be trying to be nice.  The last thing I remembered was a girl saying, "Dont step out of the light,  never leave the light!"  I never thought anything of it until I hit the runway....



Finally, it was my time to shine!  BUT, I was so scared I was afraid I would fall, or trip on my shoes or something crazy.  At that moment, I took a deep breath and decided "F**K  IT!"  How bad could I be right?  I turned to head down the runway and thought, "Oh my gosh!  This is a really long way!  Should I cry right now because I am so excited?  NO DONT CRY!  Look straight ahead...no look up, no look down, to the side!" Then next thing I knew, I was at the end of the runway and ready to hold my pose for 4 seconds.  Right when I stopped, I felt it....I had stepped out of the light...uuuuggggg...I could hear that girl's warning in my head and I was almost frozen for a moment.  Lights were flashing as photoraphers were taking pictures and I basked in the glory.  Should I step backwards?  Nope, it was too late, I made my turn and headed back down the other way.  Feeling a little foolish,  I could hardly keep the smile of excitement off of my face.   The whole process only lasted about thirty seconds, but it was thirty seconds that I will remember (and brag about) for the rest of my life.  I got to fulfill a little girls dream (my own) and make a memory that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment