Thursday, May 9, 2013

5 things I wish I knew in my 20's


Of course I am another year older, and every year I look back on how I was and wish I had known the things I know right now.  In my 20’s I loved to stay out late, have some drinks with friends and top the night off with a pizza dipped in ranch.  I was more timid back then and afraid to try things that I wasn't sure if I was good at.  I also let my family fall by the way side because I felt like my friends were the ones who would be there forever.  As we get older  we realize that the bars will still function without us, Ranch dressing is always a bad idea and not much matters more than your family.  These are a few of the things that I really wish I paid attention in my 20's.


Sleep-I have always been like a little kid never wanting to go to bed.  When I was in my teens and twenties going to bed was the ultimate let down for me.  I felt like I was always missing out on something and that my friends NEEDED me to be out with them.  I would stay up late and then get up early to exercise or go to classes and maybe only get 5-6 hours of sleep.  It took a toll on my body and my skin.  I always felt and looked so tired.  In my thirties I finally realized that I needed every bit of 7 hours of sleep to help my body function at its full capacity.  Sleep also helps in: preventing inflammation, heart disease, stroke, arthritis; spiking creativity; lowering stress; keeping weight off to name just a few.  Had I slept more when I was younger, I would have felt a lot better, but probably not had as much fun;)


Loving my body-I was a very active and athletic girl, but I always felt like I was over weight.  Society and its pressures has its pitfalls for a lot of young women, and I was just one of many who was never happy about the way I looked.  Looking back now I'm sure most of us would kill to have the body we had in high school, but we never appreciated it.  Now that I am older and a little wiser, I have realized that I am never going to look like those girls in the magazines, but who really does!?  I have decided to embrace my body and love what I have.  








Diet-Krispy Kreme donuts, nachos and cheese balls were some of my favorite foods until 5 years ago.  I caught my buns in a special light and saw my cellulite! Ugggg , I almost cried that day and ever since then have slowly started to change my diet.  I always thought it was crazy that my friends ordered salads, but now I see why.  Not only do healthy foods keep the lumps and bumps off, they also give me more energy, keep me looking healthier and make my body function better.  I have less slumps during the day when I keep away from the sugar and refined foods.  Also, I try to eat organic fruits and vegetables as much as possible, and only have my Krispy Kremes on special occasions.















Family-”Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one”--Jane Howard quote. AMEN sister!  I am lucky to have a large family, because you get to be around so many different people and see life from so many different ways.  I may not have appreciated these people when I was younger, but now days there is no one dearer to my heart than my family and I truly appreciate them. 









Taking a risk-I feel like I have always been a risk taker of sorts - I took risks I new I could not fail at.  As a younger person I felt like I should only attempt the things that I am good at and avoid everything else so I wouldnt  look dumb when I fail.  As I am older I see how wrong that kind of thinking is.  We need to take risks in order to grow in our lives, feel empowered, and explore our talents.  So what if we aren't good at everything, or we fail...we learn from our mistakes and we move on to become better more successful people.  

1 comment:

  1. this is so sweet, thanks for sharing. i'm with you on the importance of healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete